(Soupe au Pois)
Maple syrup is big business in La Beauce; it flavors many dishes, including this one.
- 2 cups whole dried yellow peas
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled and grated
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 leek, trimmed, cleaned, and finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 lb. salt pork
- 1⁄4 cup minced fatty bacon
- 2 tbsp. grade B maple syrup
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. dried or chopped fresh winter savory
Put peas and baking soda into a large pot, cover with cold water by 1'', and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 5 minutes; then drain into a colander, and rinse under cold running water.
Return peas to pot, add rutabagas, carrots, leeks, onions, salt pork, bacon, and maple syrup, and season to taste with pepper. Add 12 cups cold water, and bring to a boil over high heat, skimming foam that rises to the surface. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until peas and vegetables are very tender and soup has thickened, 2–2 1⁄2 hours. Add savory 30 minutes before soup has finished cooking. Remove salt pork, and season soup with pepper just before serving.
Continue to Next Story