Based on a recipe from author Nancy Harmon Jenkins, this Cretan meze dish can be served hot or at room temperature.
- 1 lb. zucchini, grated
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1⁄2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1 medium yellow onion, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pinch of cayenne, to taste
- Olive oil or canola oil, for frying
- Mix zucchini and salt in a strainer; set a weighted plate on top; let drain for 30 minutes. Transfer zucchini to a tea towel; squeeze out liquid. Mix zucchini, parsley, cheese, bread crumbs, onions, and egg in a bowl. Season with pepper and cayenne; divide mixture into 12 balls. Press balls into 3⁄4“-thick patties.
- Pour oil into a 4-qt. pot to a depth of 2″; heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 315°. Working in 2 batches, fry patties until browned and crisp, 5–6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer fritters to paper towels.