This lightly floral, honey-sweetened drink comes from Frank Newman’s 1907 book, American Bar. This recipe first appeared in the 2012 SAVEUR 100, with the article Cognac Cocktails.
- 2 oz. cognac, such as Ferrand Ambre, Remy Martin VSOP, or Hennessy Black
- 1⁄2 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. creme de framboise
- 1 tsp. honey dissolved in 2 tsp. hot water
- 1⁄2 crosswise orange slice, to garnish
- Shake cognac, juice, framboise, and honey mixture in a shaker filled with ice until chilled. Strain into a chilled highball glass filled with cracked ice; garnish with orange slice.