Embutido (Filipino Meat Loaf)
The recipe for these steamed meat loaves with hard boiled egg centers comes from Saveur kitchen assistant Monica Floirendo.
Yield: serves 8
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 9 oz. cooked ham, cut into 1/3″ cubes
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisins, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 2 (4-oz.) jars sliced pimientos, drained
- Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, carrots, onion, and bell pepper; cook until lightly caramelized, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a bowl along with beef, pork, ham, raisins, bread crumbs, 2 tbsp. parsley, soy sauce, and salt and pepper; mix until evenly combined. Transfer half the mixture to a large sheet of foil and shape mixture into a 9″ × 8″ rectangle. Place 3 eggs lengthwise along center of rectangle; cover with half the pimientos. Fold sides of rectangle over eggs and pimientos, and shape into a log; wrap tightly in foil, twisting ends to seal. Repeat with remaining meat mixture, eggs, and pimientos.
- Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a flat-bottomed wok over medium heat. Place an 11″ bamboo steamer in wok, and place meat loaves in steamer; cover. Cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the middle of the meat loaves reads 160°, about 1 hour. Unwrap, and cut into 1″ slices; garnish with remaining parsley before serving.