At Mamma 'Zu's restaurant in Richmond, Virginia, this simple, satisfying Italian appetizer is served with crusty bread. This recipe first appeared in the 2012 SAVEUR 100, with the article Mama 'Zu.
- 12 oil-packed anchovy filets
- 6 roasted red bell peppers, skins, stems, and seeds removed, cut into large strips
- 1⁄4 cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Alternately lay anchovy filets and strips of pepper on a serving platter in one layer. Combine parsley and garlic on a cutting board and finely chop together; sprinkle parsley-garlic mixture evenly over anchovies and peppers. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper; let sit 10 minutes before serving to allow flavors to marry.