Roasted Peppers and Anchovies
At Mamma ‘Zu’s restaurant in Richmond, Virginia, this simple, satisfying Italian appetizer is served with crusty bread. This recipe first appeared in the 2012 SAVEUR 100, with the article Mama ‘Zu.
- 12 oil-packed anchovy filets
- 6 roasted red bell peppers, skins, stems, and seeds removed, cut into large strips
- 1⁄4 cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Alternately lay anchovy filets and strips of pepper on a serving platter in one layer. Combine parsley and garlic on a cutting board and finely chop together; sprinkle parsley-garlic mixture evenly over anchovies and peppers. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper; let sit 10 minutes before serving to allow flavors to marry.