Author Mei Chin’s fried tofu and bacon fritters (see Tofu Wanzi,) are delicious plain or with sesame oil for dipping. But we started riffing and found that they also pair wonderfully with this classic Asian sauce, which also goes well with steamed dumplings or fried chicken wings. This recipe first appeared in the 2012 SAVEUR 100.
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Asian-style chili paste (like Huy Fong-brand Southeast Asian-style Sambal Oelek)
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Stir to combine.