SAVEUR's executive food editor Todd Coleman shows us two super-simple ways to cut carrots into even, aesthetically pleasing pieces — no wasted carrot bits, and no appliances necessary!
What you'll need
- A sharp knife
The Roll Cut
- Starting at the tapered end, make a diagonal cut.
- Make a quarter turn, and cut again in the same place, moving up the carrot as you go.
- The cuts from the tapered end will be the same size as the cuts from the thick end.
- Hold the carrot at an angle and make thin cuts working your way up the carrot.
- Make a tight stack, like laying out a deck of cards.
- Holding down the stack, make tight cuts for a beautiful julienne.