This zesty, flaming concoction has long been the signature after-dinner drink at New Orleans’ venerable Creole restaurant, Galatoire’s.
- 3 cups strong coffee
- 1 peel of navel orange (preferably in one long spiral)
- 1 peel of lemon (preferably in one long spiral)
- 12 cloves
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 1⁄4 cup orange liqueur
- Stud orange peel with cloves and place with lemon peel in a small saucepan. Add cinnamon, brandy, and liqueur and gently warm, without boiling, over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Strain brandy mixture into a large bowl; discard cinnamon and lemon peel. Using a long-handled match, carefully flame brandy mixture.
- When flame subsides, pour hot coffee in a steady stream into brandy mixture over orange peel. Strain into small cups and serve.