Menu: A Rustic French Meal
- The French Blonde Cocktail
- Maple Syrup Roasted Tomatoes
- Gougères (Cheese Puffs)
- Rabbit in Mustard Sauce
- [Creamed Onion Gratin
- [Haricot Vert and Hazelnut Salad
- Chewy Almond Macaroons
More About This Menu
- The main dish calls for two whole rabbits cut into 6-8 pieces—for step-by-step instructions, see our guide to butchering a whole rabbit. For an alternative main course, try Mustard and White Wine Braised Chicken instead; the tangy mustard and deeply-herbal flavors will complement the rest of the meal.
- The tomatoes roast at a low heat for several hours before reaching an optimal slightly-dried and candy-sweet state. Start ahead of time and prepare more than you anticipate needing; they will shrink while cooking—and it’s impossible to resist snacking on a few before serving time.
- The French Blonde is made with Lillet Blanc, a classic French apéritif, so we like to serve the drink as part of a casual cocktail hour before dinner. Pair the main course with a light- to medium-bodied red wine, which will enhance the flavors of the meat while cutting through the richness of the gratin. To see more cocktail ideas for serving both before and after the meal, browse our collection of Paris-Inspired Cocktails.