The best of summer comes together in this satisfying dessert of grilled pound cake topped with a fruity, herbal compote.
- 6 large plums (about 1½-2 lbs.), pitted and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sweet riesling, or other dessert wine
- 10 basil leaves, bruised, plus more for serving
- 1 (12-oz.) pound cake, cut into 8 slices
- 4 tbsp. butter, melted
- Mascarpone cheese, for serving
Combine the plums, sugar, and riesling in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is slightly thick, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil; let cool to room temperature. Discard basil.
Heat a charcoal grill or set a gas grill to medium (Alternately, heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat). Brush both sides of pound cake slices with melted butter. Grill, flipping once, until toasted, about 1-2 minutes. Divide cake between serving plates and top with plum compote. Garnish with a dollop of mascarpone and a small basil leaf, if you like.