Alevropita (Greek Egg, Feta, and Herb Tart)
This savory egg tart is nicknamed “lazy woman’s pie” for how easy it is to make. In Aglaia Kremezi’s version, which first appeared in our Jan/Feb 2014 SAVEUR 100 issue with the article Lazy Woman’s Pie, a cheese and egg filling is layered with butter-basted phyllo.
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted, plus more
- 4 sheets phyllo dough
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 5 eggs
- 1 lb. ricotta, drained
- 12 oz. crumbled feta
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped oregano
- 2 tsp. finely chopped thyme
- 1⁄2 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- Heat oven to 425°. Grease a baking sheet with butter. Lay 2 sheets phyllo, overlapping slightly, on baking sheet; brush with some melted butter. Whisk milk and eggs in a bowl. Stir ricotta, feta, oregano, thyme, and chile flakes in another bowl. Pour half the egg mixture over phyllo; dot with half the cheese mixture. Repeat, layering remaining phyllo, butter, egg mixture, and cheese mixture; bake until bottom is golden and filling is just set, about 35 minutes. Heat oven broiler. Broil until golden and crisp, 1–2 minutes.