This savory egg tart is nicknamed “lazy woman’s pie” for how easy it is to make. In Aglaia Kremezi’s version, which first appeared in our Jan/Feb 2014 SAVEUR 100 issue with the article Lazy Woman’s Pie, a cheese and egg filling is layered with butter-basted phyllo.
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted, plus more
- 4 sheets phyllo dough
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 5 eggs
- 1 lb. ricotta, drained
- 12 oz. crumbled feta
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped oregano
- 2 tsp. finely chopped thyme
- 1⁄2 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- Heat oven to 425°. Grease a baking sheet with butter. Lay 2 sheets phyllo, overlapping slightly, on baking sheet; brush with some melted butter. Whisk milk and eggs in a bowl. Stir ricotta, feta, oregano, thyme, and chile flakes in another bowl. Pour half the egg mixture over phyllo; dot with half the cheese mixture. Repeat, layering remaining phyllo, butter, egg mixture, and cheese mixture; bake until bottom is golden and filling is just set, about 35 minutes. Heat oven broiler. Broil until golden and crisp, 1–2 minutes.