Border Grill Bloody Mary
Spicy tomatillo and cucumber ice cubes chill this twist on the classic brunch drink.
Yield: serves 8
For the Ice Cubes
- 8 tomatillos, peeled and stemmed
- 2 large cucumbers, sliced
- 2 large jalapeños, stemmed
For the Drinks
- 8 cups tomato juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice, plus wedges for rimming glasses
- 2 tbsp. freshly grated horseradish
- 2 tbsp. hot sauce, preferably Tabasco, plus more to taste
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. ground celery seed
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup celery salt, for glasses
- 4 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and finely chopped
- 2 cups gin or vodka (optional)
- Celery stalks and hard-boiled quail's eggs (optional), peeled, for garnish
- Make the ice cubes: Purée tomatillos, cucumbers, and jalapeños in a blender until smooth. Strain though a fine-mesh sieve into a measuring cup. Pour into ice cube trays and freeze.
- Make the drink: Stir tomato juice, lime juice, horseradish, hot sauce, Worcestershire, celery seed, salt, and pepper in a large glass pitcher. To serve, mix celery salt and bacon on a plate. Rub lime wedges around rims of 8 glasses and dip in bacon mixture. Place 4 tomatillo ice cubes in each glass and pour bloody mary mixture over. Top each glass with 2 oz. gin or vodka and garnish with celery stalk and a quail's egg, if you like. Add more hot sauce, to taste.