The staff of Thomas Keller’s Bouchon Bistro prepares this decadent version of sweet potato casserole each year as part of a Thanksgiving feast for veterans and their families. The potatoes are first baked in foil packets with allspice, butter, honey, and brown sugar. Then, infused with aromatic sweetness, they’re puréed with creamy mascarpone cheese and topped with marshmallows. This recipe first appeared in our November 2014 issue with the story Holiday for the Heroes.
- 4 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground allspice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 oz. mascarpone cheese, softened
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- Heat oven to 375°. Mix potatoes, butter, brown sugar, honey, allspice, salt, and pepper on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet; spread into an even layer. Top with a sheet of parchment paper and cover with aluminum foil; bake until potatoes are very tender, 35–40 minutes. Let cool slightly and transfer to a food processor; add mascarpone cheese and purée until smooth. Spread mixture into a 9″ x 13″ baking dish; top with marshmallows. Heat oven broiler; broil casserole until marshmallows are browned in spots, 2–3 minutes.