Fresh carrot juice, bourbon, and a sweet, slightly bitter walnut liqueur combine for a drinkable twist on carrot cake. We like using Demerara sugar, which has a mild molasses flavor, to make the simple syrup.
- 1 1⁄2 oz. bourbon
- 3⁄4 oz. carrot juice
- 1⁄2 oz. lemon juice
- 1⁄2 oz. walnut liqueur such as Nux Alpina
- 1⁄2 oz. Demerara simple syrup
- pinch of fleur de sel, Maldon, or other flaky sea salt
- Strip of orange zest, lemon zest, or a thin slice of fresh ginger, for garnish (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into a rocks glass. Garnish with orange zest, lemon zest, or ginger, if you like.