Our classic California sandwich recipe combines a trio of fresh Golden State produce, Monterey Jack cheese, and a creamy ranch-like dressing. A version of this late-century favorite can still be found on deli-counter and sandwich-shop menus throughout California—but the feel-good meal is just as easy to layer up at home.
This recipe first appeared in our April 2011 Sandwich Issue with the story, “Golden State of Sandwiches,” by Betsy Andrews.
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped chives
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- 2 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup alfalfa sprouts
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and thinly sliced
- 1 ripe tomato, cored and thinly sliced