Carrots are roasted before being topped with crunchy pistachios and a sweet fig vinaigrette in a simple salad from Eli and Max Sussman’s Classic Recipes for Modern People (Olive Press, 2015).
- 1⁄2 cup diced fresh figs
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup plus 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lb. multicolored carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1 head radicchio, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- Heat oven to 375°. In a medium bowl, combine figs, vinegar, shallot, salt, pepper, and 2 tbsp. water; while whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in 1⁄2 cup olive oil until vinaigrette is emulsified and set aside. Toss carrots with 1⁄4 cup oil and salt; transfer to a baking sheet and cook until brown and crisp, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat remaining olive oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high; add half the radicchio and cook until its just wilted and browned in spots, 2–3 minutes. Add to a large bowl and toss with reserved vinaigrette, uncooked radicchio, carrots, and pistachios. Transfer to a platter and serve immediately.