Chorizo-Stuffed Mushrooms (Champiñones Rellenos de Chorizo)
Roasted mushrooms are stuffed with a chorizo, onion, and cheese filling in this popular snack enjoyed at asados in Buenos Aires.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 16 large cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 oz. raw Spanish-style chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1⁄4 cup roughly chopped parsley
- Heat oven to 450°. Toss mushroom caps with 1⁄4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper on a baking sheet; spread into an even layer. Bake until browned, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Heat remaining oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Add chorizo; cook, stirring to break up sausage into medium pieces, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and onion; cook until soft, 5–7 minutes. Add mushroom stems, salt, and pepper; cook until golden, 4–6 minutes more. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and half of parsley. Place 1–2 tbsp. filling in each mushroom cap. Garnish with remaining parsley; drizzle with olive oil.