Fresh, dried, and canned mushrooms combine with bok choy, snow peas, and carrots in a ginger-infused broth in this recipe from Queens, New York, home cooks Kokkiang and Helen Thong. This recipe first appeared in our May 2014 issue with the story Still Cooking.
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 lb. baby bok choy, halved lengthwise and rinsed
- 10 oz. snow peas, trimmed
- 4 oz. enoki mushrooms, trimmed
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1” pieces on an angle
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 (6″) piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 16 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked overnight, drained and stemmed
- 2 1⁄2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. peanut oil
- 2 (14-oz.) cans (Roland brand) oyster mushrooms, drained and stemmed
- 2 tbsp. shaoxing jiu (Chinese rice wine)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 8 tender sprigs cilantro
- 1 small carrot, julienned
- 2 scallions
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook bok choy until crisp-tender, 1–2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bok choy to an ice bath until chilled. Remove from ice bath and drain; arrange with leaves facing inward around the rim of a large shallow bowl and set aside. Repeat cooking process with snow peas, enoki mushrooms, 1–2 minutes, and carrots, 6–8 minutes; transfer vegetables from ice bath to a colander to drain; set aside.
- Bring stock, half each the garlic, scallions, and ginger, plus shiitake mushrooms to a boil in a 4-qt. saucepan. Reduce heat to medium; add sugar, oyster sauce and soy sauce; simmer until reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Strain stock, discarding mushrooms or reserve for another use, into a bowl; set stock aside.
- Add oil to pan; heat over medium-high heat. Cook remaining garlic, scallions, and ginger until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add reserved snow peas, enoki mushrooms and carrots, plus oyster mushrooms; cook 3 minutes. Add reserved stock, the rice wine and pepper; bring to a simmer. Using a ladle, transfer vegetables and broth to platter. Drizzle with sesame oil; garnish with cilantro, scallions, and carrot.