Coconut Lime Custard Pie
This cream-topped pie is filled with a thick coconut milk custard that perfectly complements the zip of fresh lime juice and grated zest.
Yield: serves 8
For the Crust and Filling
- Flour, for dusting
- 1⁄2 recipe Flaky Butter Pie Dough
- 1 (13.5-oz.) can coconut milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp. grated lime zest, plus ½ cup fresh juice
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, plus 3 yolks
For the Topping
- 3 tbsp. sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. grated lime zest
- Make the crust: Heat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12" round. Fit into a 9" pie plate. Trim edges and crimp; chill 30 minutes. Using a fork, prick the dough all over. Line dough with parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans; bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Remove paper and weights; let cool.
- Make the filling: Bring coconut milk and sugar to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved and mixture is very thick, about 45 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; let cool to room temperature.
- Heat oven to 375°. Add remaining filling ingredients to coconut mixture and whisk until combined. Pour filling over dough; using a rubber spatula, spread into an even layer. Bake until just set in the center, about 50 minutes. Transfer pie to a rack and let cool completely.
- Make the topping: Reduce oven to 300° and spread coconut on a baking sheet. Bake, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp, 15 minutes; let cool. Beat cream in a bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold in sugar and lime zest; transfer to a piping bag fitted with a ¾" star tip. Pipe cream over surface of pie, leaving a 1–2" border; sprinkle with toasted coconut.