Spreading mayonnaise on both sides of the bread before grilling yields a perfectly golden brown crust in this recipe from chef Ignacio Mattos.
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (10-oz.) loaf sourdough, sliced 1/2″ thick and cut into thirds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 oz. lump crabmeat
- 1⁄4 cup capers, rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 2 lemons, zest and juice
- Heat a charcoal or woodburning grill or set a gas grill to medium-high. (Alternatively, heat a cast-iron grill pan over high.) Spread mayonnaise on each side of bread and season with salt; grill, flipping once, until slightly charred and crisp, 4–5 minutes, and transfer to a serving platter. Stir crab, capers, olive oil, chile flakes, lemon zest and juice, salt, and pepper in a bowl; spoon crab salad over toast.