This basil-gin cocktail from Mike Bass of Cask & Larder in Winter Park, Florida, gets a hit of nutty sweetness from amontillado sherry.
For the Basil Syrup
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
For the Cocktail
- 1⁄4 cup blanched peas
- 5 mint leaves, plus 1 for garnish
- 1 1⁄2 oz. Tanqueray No. Ten
- 1⁄2 oz. basil syrup
- 1⁄2 oz. Dry Sack medium sherry
- 1⁄4 oz. fresh lime juice
- 3⁄4 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 egg white
- Pea pod, for garnish
- For the syrup: Boil basil, sugar, and 1⁄2 cup water in a 2-qt. saucepan for 2 minutes; let steep 15 minutes. Strain syrup; let cool.
- For the cocktail: Muddle peas and mint leaves in a shaker. Add gin, basil syrup, sherry, lime juice, olive oil, and egg white; shake 15 seconds. Add ice; shake vigorously. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a chilled coupe. Garnish with a mint leaf and pea pod skewer.