Instead of using jarred poultry seasoning, associate food editor Kellie Evans quit the bottle and tailor-made a seasoning blend from fresh herbs and freshly ground spices. Lo and behold, she was rewarded with a lively, pungent flavor that puts the jarred stuff to shame. A new tradition was born. The recipe leaves out salt, so you can add it directly to turkey, stuffing, or Cornell Chicken without fear of over-seasoning.
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped thyme
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped rosemary
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped sage
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped marjoram
- 1⁄2 tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- 1 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Stir together all ingredients in a bowl. Seasoning will keep, refrigerated, for about 3 days.