Before brewing this spiced ginger soda, it is important to sanitize all tools and equipment. See this site for more information, and find champagne yeast and 1-liter EZ cap beer bottles at Midwest Supplies.
Yield: makes FOUR 1-LITER BOTTLES
- 1 1⁄4 lb. ginger, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 16 cups filtered water
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. champagne yeast
- 6 allspice berries
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Bring ginger, filtered water, and sugar to a simmer in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium-low heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved, 1–2 minutes. Stir in yeast, allspice, cloves, and cinnamon; drape a large kitchen towel over saucepan and let sit for 1 hour.
- Pour mixture through a cheesecloth-lined sieve set over a large sanitized bowl. With gloved hands, squeeze solids to extract as much liquid as possible; discard solids. Using a funnel, pour beer into four 1-liter EZ cap beer bottles, filling to within 1” of the top or lower. Close bottle with top and let sit in a dark cabinet at room temperature (ideally 70°–75°) for 48 hours. Chill ginger beer for 1 day before opening and serving.