The filling for these eastern European biscuits can be altered depending on what you fancy; freeze any unbaked filled cookies and bake them from frozen.
Yield: makes 36
For the Filling
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 1 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. Nielsen-Massey Pure Lemon Extract
For the Dough
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 16 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp. Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 (8-oz.) package of cream cheese, softened
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour, plus 1/3 cup
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tbsp. Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Powder
- 1 egg
- Make the filling: Combine preserves, dried apricots, sugar, and lemon extract in a bowl; set aside.
- Make the dough: Using an electric hand mixer, beat sugar, butter, vanilla extract, and cream cheese until fluffy. Add egg, beating well to combine. Slowly add 2 3⁄4 cups flour until a dough forms. Divide dough into two discs and wrap with plastic wrap; refrigerate 3 hours.
- Make the cookie: Heat oven to 350°. Combine remaining flour, 1⁄2 cup confectioners’ sugar, and 1 tbsp. vanilla powder; sprinkle half on a clean work surface. Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll dough out into a 10" x 12" rectangle, about 1⁄8" thick. Cut dough into 16 2 1⁄2" squares. Place 2 tsp. of filling in center of square; overlap opposite corners over filling and press gently to seal. Repeat with remaining dough. Place cookies on parchment paper-lined baking sheets and bake about 40 minutes, until slightly golden; cool. Combine remaining confectioners’ sugar and vanilla powder in a bowl; dust over cookies before serving.