This brisk salad spiced with chiles and cumin comes to us from the Gupta family, Marwari Hindus from the northern Indian town of Mathura. Followers of Krishna, they observe a strict vegetarian diet; this simple, lively side dish makes a frequent appearance on their table. This recipe first appeared as part of the digital edition of our August/September 2014 special India issue.
- 1 (2") piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored, quartered and sliced ¼”-thick
- 1 medium daikon radish, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 small green Thai chile or ½ serrano, minced
- Kosher salt, to taste