Marwari Radish and Tomato Salad
This brisk salad spiced with chiles and cumin comes to us from the Gupta family, Marwari Hindus from the northern Indian town of Mathura. Followers of Krishna, they observe a strict vegetarian diet; this simple, lively side dish makes a frequent appearance on their table. This recipe first appeared as part of the digital edition of our August/September 2014 special India issue.
- 1 (2″) piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored, quartered and sliced ¼”-thick
- 1 medium daikon radish, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 small green Thai chile or ½ serrano, minced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Toss ingredients in a bowl; let sit 10 minutes for flavors to meld before serving.