Eastern-style toppings—shredded snow crab, spicy shishito peppers, ginger-wasabi aïoli—adorn a Western-style pizza at Park Hyatt Tokyo’s New York Bar. This recipe first appeared in our May 2014 issue with the story Happy Hour: Bar Snacks.
- ⅓ cups Kewpie mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp. wasabi powder
- 1 clove garlic, mashed into a paste
- 1 (½”) piece ginger, peeled and mashed into a paste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Canola oil, for frying
- 12 shishito peppers
- ½ lb. homemade or store-bought pizza dough
- Fine semolina, for dusting
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cups ricotta, drained overnight
- 3 oz. snow crab meat
- ¼ cups finely grated mozzarella
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan
- ⅓ cups baby arugula
- Stir mayonnaise, lime juice, wasabi powder, garlic, ginger, and salt in a bowl; set aïoli aside. Heat 2” canola oil in a 4-qt. saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°. Working in batches, fry peppers until golden, 1–2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer peppers to paper towels to drain; set aside.
- Place a pizza stone under the broiler; heat for 30 minutes. Dust dough with semolina. Using your fingertips, press dough into a 7” circle about ¼” thick, leaving a 1” crust around the edges. Hold dough straight up, and with fingertips circling crust, slide fingers around crust in a circular motion as you would turn a steering wheel until dough in the center is stretched to about ⅛” thick; transfer to a semolina-dusted pizza peel. Drizzle olive oil over dough; spread with ricotta and sprinkle with reserved peppers, the crab, mozzarella, and parmesan. Slide pizza onto stone; broil until cheese melts and crust is puffed and charred in spots, 3–4 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish; sprinkle with arugula and drizzle with reserved aïoli. Serve hot.