These elegant potatoes, which first appeared along with Sophie Brickman's story Piped Dreams, are brushed with an egg wash before baking for color and crunch.
- 2 1⁄2 lb. russet potatoes (about 4)
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 2 egg yolks, plus 1 whole egg mixed with 1 tsp. heavy cream, lightly beaten
- 1⁄8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat oven to 400°. Using a fork, prick potatoes all over; place on a baking sheet. Bake until tender, 1 1⁄2 hours; let cool, then peel and pass through a food mill or ricer.
Mix potatoes, butter, yolks, nutmeg, salt, and pepper in a bowl; transfer to a piping bag fitted with a 3⁄4" star tip. On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, and working in a tight circular motion, pipe twelve 2 1⁄2" cones about 2" high. Brush with egg mixture; bake until golden brown, 40–45 minutes.