This stunning red salad gets its color from raw shredded beets, which mix with crunchy carrots and sweet-tart apples to make a crisp slawlike Autumn side dish. This recipe first appeared in our March 2014 issue with the story A Change of Seasons.
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed into a paste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 large carrots, peeled
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
- 1 large red beet, peeled
- Whisk juices, garlic paste, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. While whisking, slowly drizzle in oil until dressing is emulsified; set aside. Shred carrots, apples, and the beet using the large holes of a box grater. (Alternatively, pulse each vegetable individually in a food processor.) Transfer vegetables and apple to bowl with dressing; toss to combine. Let salad sit 30 minutes.