Smoked Trout, Rutabaga, and Microgreen Salad
Mix flaky chunks of smoked trout and roasted golden rutabaga with your choice of microgreens to add a fresh hint of early spring to this rustic salad.
Yield: serves 6
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large rutabagas, peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 oz. microgreens, such as cabbage, celery, or kohlrabi
- 6 oz. watercress, trimmed
- 1⁄3 cup crème fraîche
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated horseradish
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. minced dill, plus sprigs for garnish
- 3⁄4 tsp. sugar
- Pinch smoked hot paprika
- 4 oz. boneless, skinless smoked trout, flaked into 1" pieces
- Heat oven to 400°. Toss oil, rutabaga, salt, and pepper on a baking sheet; roast until golden and tender, 20 minutes, and let cool. Spread half of the microgreens and all of the watercress on a serving platter. Whisk crème fraîche, horseradish, vinegar, minced dill, sugar, paprika, salt, and pepper in a bowl. In another bowl, toss 3 tbsp. dressing, rutabaga, and the trout; sprinkle over greens. Top with remaining microgreens; garnish with dill sprigs. Serve remaining dressing on the side.