The addition of buttermilk in this ultra-retro dessert keeps it from being too cloying and renders cookie salad totally appropriate for the adult palate. This recipe comes from the 1984 Our Savior's Lutheran Cookbook, which contributor Molly Yeh discovered upon moving to North Dakota.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 (20-oz.) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 (3.4-oz.) package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 14 chocolate-striped shortbread cookies, such as Keebler Fudge Stripes, roughly crumbled
- 1 banana, peeled and thinly sliced crosswise