Buttermilk Cookie Salad
The addition of buttermilk in this ultra-retro dessert keeps it from being too cloying and renders cookie salad totally appropriate for the adult palate. This recipe comes from the 1984 Our Savior’s Lutheran Cookbook, which contributor Molly Yeh discovered upon moving to North Dakota.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 (20-oz.) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 (3.4-oz.) package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 14 chocolate-striped shortbread cookies, such as Keebler Fudge Stripes, roughly crumbled
- 1 banana, peeled and thinly sliced crosswise
- In a large bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the crushed pineapple and juice and vanilla pudding until the pudding dissolves, at least 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the cream until stiff peaks form. Spoon the whipped cream into the pudding along with all but 1⁄2 cup of the crumbled cookies and the banana. Fold until evenly combined and then spoon into a larger serving bowl or individual bowls. Sprinkle the pudding with the reserved crumbled cookies before serving.