Charred Rhubarb Compote
Rhubarb gets a smoky makeover when broiled briefly before being cooked down into a jammy compote. Use it as a topping for this rich strawberry cheesecake or drizzle on ice cream.
Yield: serves 10-12
Time: 1 hours 30 minutes
- 1 <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> lb. rhubarb, trimmed and sliced 1/4" thick
- 1 <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Heat oven broiler. Arrange rhubarb in a single layer on a greased, foil-lined baking sheet; broil until slightly charred, 6–8 minutes, and transfer to a 4-qt. saucepan. Add sugar and vanilla bean and seeds; cook over medium-low until rhubarb breaks down and sauce thickens to a jam-like consistency, about 30 minutes. Stir in lemon juice; let cool and discard vanilla bean.
MORE TO READ
Don’t Fear the Dinner Party: Toasting Romy Gill’s Cookbook from Home
Recipes, Tricks, and Tips for Hosting a Himalayan-Inspired Vegetarian Feast.
Watermelon Gin Punch with Himalayan Salt
Elegant black tea and botanical flavors round out this pretty party punch.