What You Will Need
Cherry Tomato and Cherry Cobbler
Cherries and cherry tomatoes bake down together into a savory-sweet layer under a sweet biscuit topping in this recipe from chef Amanda Cohen.
Yield: serves 6-8
Time: 1 hour
- 4 tbsp. chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, plus more for greasing
- 3 1⁄2 cups pitted sour cherries (about 1 lb.)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (about 6 oz.)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Ice cream, for serving
- Heat the oven to 400° and grease an 8-inch square baking dish with butter. In a large bowl, toss the cherries with the cherry tomatoes, 1⁄2 cup sugar, the cornstarch, and 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and then pour into the prepared baking dish. In a medium bowl, whisk the remaining sugar and salt with the flour, baking powder, and lemon zest. Add the 4 tablespoons butter, and using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour until pea-size crumbles form. Add the cream and stir until a shaggy dough forms.
- Using a large spoon, evenly dollop the dough over the fruit, and then bake until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling at the center, about 35 minutes. Transfer the cobbler to a rack and let cool for 5 minutes before serving with ice cream.