This pungent chutney is made from a blend of common Indian ingredients: cilantro, tamarind, chile, turmeric, and freshly grated coconut.
The Portuguese capital is redefining its cuisine with a new openness to foreign flavors and far-flung influences
- Flesh from 1 fresh coconut (7 oz.), finely grated on a box grater or in a food processor (2 cups)
- 3 tbsp. prepared tamarind concentrate
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbsp.)
- 1 small yellow onion, minced (3/4 cup)
- Juice of 1 lime (2 Tbsp.)
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- Salt to taste
- In a food processor, add the coconut, tamarind, turmeric, chiles, garlic, onion, and lime juice; pulse until well combined. Add the cilantro and pulse to incorporate. Season to taste with salt. Set aside.