Coffee Shrub Spritzer
This sparkling balsamic vinegar–espresso shrub was the hands-down front runner of Barista Coffee Shop‘s “create a new drink” contest.
Featured in: Brew Your Coffee with Vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely ground espresso coffee
- 6 tbsp. agave syrup
- 6 tbsp. maple syrup
- Chilled sparkling water, for serving
- Make the shrub: In a medium bowl, combine the balsamic vinegar with the coffee and 1⁄2 cup water, cover with plastic wrap, and let sit at room temperature for at least 6 hours or overnight. Pour the liquid through a fine sieve lined with cheesecloth into another bowl and then stir in the agave and maple syrups. Store the coffee shrub in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
- To serve: In a chilled 12-oz. glass filled with ice, add 3 tablespoons coffee shrub, top with 4 ounces sparkling water, and stir to combine.