A simple grain bowl is the perfect easy meal: quick, nourishing, and plenty satisfying. Feel free to adapt the ingredients in this recipe to whatever’s in your fridge and pantry; grain bowls love leftovers.
- 4 small beets (about 1/2 lb.), trimmed and scrubbed clean
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups farro
- 1⁄2 lb. cauliflower, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 1 cara cara orange, segmented, juices reserved (about 2 1/2 Tbsp.)
- 1 naval orange, segmented, juices reserved (about 2 1/2 Tbsp.)
- 1 cup purslane
- 1⁄3 cup shelled and toasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 head radicchio, thinly sliced
- Heat the oven to 400°. In an 8-by-8-inch square baking dish, toss beets with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, and pepper and cover with aluminum foil. Roast until tender, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven, cool slightly, and peel. Cut into wedges and set beets aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add farro and cook until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and rinse until cool under cold running water. Set farro aside.
- Change oven temperature to broil. On a small baking sheet, toss cauliflower with with 2 tablespoons of oil, salt, and pepper. Broil until tender and charred, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining 2 tablespoons oil with honey and orange juices. Season with salt and pepper and set dressing aside.
- To assemble grain bowl, divide farro between 2 bowls. Top each with beets, cauliflower, orange segments, purslane, pistachios, ricotta cheese, and radicchio. Drizzle with dressing before serving.