“Always be prepared.” It’s not only the motto of the Boy Scouts of America, it’s also the mantra of any great host. Eric Castro of San Diego’s Polite Provisions suggests to achieve that goal via pre-made libations. His riff on the classic New Orleans cocktail, the Vieux Carré, can be kept chilled, stored in cleaned 750-ml. liquor bottles, and on hand for all impromptu soirées.
Featured in: The No-Measuring Three-Ingredient Cocktail Plan
- 7 oz. Scotch whisky
- 7 oz. apple brandy
- 5 1⁄4 oz. Carpano Antica sweet vermouth
- 1 3⁄4 oz. Bénédictine liqueur
- 3 1⁄2 oz. water
- 1⁄4 oz. Angostura bitters
- 1⁄4 oz. Peychaud’s bitters
- Orange twists, to garnish
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients until blended. Using a funnel, pour the cocktail into a clean 750-ml. bottle and seal with a cap or cork. Refrigerate until ready to drink or for up to 3 weeks. Serve it over large ice cubes in rocks glasses with orange twists.