Green Goddess Dressing
Helen Brown’s West Coast Cookbook contains a historical riff on the original green goddess dip from San Francisco’s Palace Hotel. Brown’s version is well-balanced, cutting the mayonnaise and some optional heavy cream with plenty of vinegar, fresh herbs, and salty anchovies.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 cup tarragon vinegar
- 2 tsp. tsp. fresh tarragon
- 4 oil-packed anchovies, minced
- 2 tbsp. minced chives or scallions
- Heavy cream, for thinning (if desired)
- Salt, as needed
- Crudités, for serving (optional)
- In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, parsley, tarragon vinegar, fresh tarragon, anchovies, and 1 tablespoon of the chives; stir well. Thin with a little bit of cream if desired. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Garnish with the remaining chives. Serve with crudités for dipping if desired.