The key to this crispy and melty griddled sandwich is to use gianduiotto chocolate, a velvety, hazelnut-infused treat from the Piedmont region of Italy that comes wrapped up in miniature bars of gold. Choose your favorite white bread, but one without too many holes so as to keep the chocolate contained.
This recipe is adapted from Emiko Davies’ Tortellini at Midnight.
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter (1 oz.), at room temperature
- 2 slices white bread (½ inch thick)
- 1 3⁄4 oz. gianduiotto, chopped (⅓ cup)
- Spread one side of each slice of bread liberally with butter. Sandwich the chocolate between the unbuttered sides.
- Transfer the sandwich to a sandwich press or hot skillet. Let cook until the bread is golden and crispy, and the chocolate is fully melted inside, about 6 minutes. Let cool slightly before cutting in half and serving warm.