The extracted juice from bitter melons takes the place of common bittering agents, such as Campari, in this floral, lime-punched cocktail.
Yield: makes one cocktail
Time: 10 minutes
- 1 medium bitter melon (about 4 oz.)
- 1 oz. simple syrup
- <sup>3</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> oz. fresh lime juice
- <sup>3</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> oz. gin
- 2 oz. soda water
- Lime wheel, to garnish
- Using a box grater, finely grate the dark green skin of bitter melon into a large bowl lined with cheesecloth. Gather the edges of the cheesecloth together and twist to squeeze the juice from the bitter melon pulp. Pour 1 tablespoon of the bitter melon juice into a cocktail shaker and save the rest for more cocktails.
- Add simple syrup, lime juice, and gin to the shaker, fill with ice cubes, and cover. Shake until well-chilled, about 15 seconds, and pour into a tall glass filled with ice. Top the cocktail with soda water and stir gently to combine. Garnish with a lime wheel just before serving.
MORE TO READ
Don’t Fear the Dinner Party: Toasting Romy Gill’s Cookbook from Home
Recipes, Tricks, and Tips for Hosting a Himalayan-Inspired Vegetarian Feast.
Watermelon Gin Punch with Himalayan Salt
Elegant black tea and botanical flavors round out this pretty party punch.