This extravagant pasta, from chef Fulvio Pierangelini’s restaurant, Irene, in Florence’s Hotel Savoy, is enriched with the lobsters’ coral, or roe sac. The rosy eggs add a pop of sweetness to the dish, but can be omitted if you prefer.
Featured in: "What's Old is New Again."
- Kosher Salt
- 1 lb. linguine
- Two 11/2-lb. live lobsters, halved lengthwise (heads, claws, and tails separated), coral reserved
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 red finger chiles, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cups finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Ground white pepper
- Pecorino Romano, for serving