Rose’s Luxury in Washington, D.C. makes this sprightly, pretty cocktail, a mix of rye, rose-tinged simple syrup, fresh lemon juice, and bitters.
For the Rose Simple Syrup
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 drops rose extract, such as Terra
For the Cocktail
- 1 1⁄2 oz. rye whiskey (preferably Rittenhouse)
- 3⁄4 oz. rose simple syrup
- 1⁄2 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 2 dashes Fee Brothers Old Fashioned bitters
- Make the simple syrup: In a 1-qt. saucepan, stir the sugar with 1⁄3 cup water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the rose extract. Let cool completely.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine the whiskey, syrup, lemon juice, and bitters with ice. Shake vigorously, and strain into a chilled rocks glass. Garnish with rose petals.