A simple side salad that goes with everything from grilled and roasted meat to fish and vegetables. Swap out the components for whatever’s in season; just keep everything thinly sliced so the ingredients blend well.
For the Dressing
- 1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Salad
- Leaves from 1 small head bibb lettuce
- 8 to 10 fresh sweet cherries, halved and pitted
- 2 bulbs baby fennel, fronds removed, bulbs thinly sliced
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and shaved into ribbons using a vegetable peeler
- 2 small zucchini or other summer squash, thinly sliced
- Leaves from 1/2 small bunch flat-leaf parsley1 small bunch chives, finely chopped
- Flaky sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- To make the salad, in a large bowl, gently toss the lettuce leaves with half the dressing, making sure they’re evenly coated. Add the fennel, radishes, carrots, and zucchini and mix gently to distribute. Divide the salad between two individual plates. Top with the cherries, parsley, and chives. Drizzle the remaining dressing over both plates. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.