Spicy Hot Chocolate with Fermented Chile Paste
This mix goes way beyond the typical flavors with umami Chinese fermented black bean chile paste and chile powder for a spicy, savory hot cocoa that delivers a kick of heat to the back of your throat. This is one hot cocoa that doesn't taste like anything else you've ever tried.
Yield: serves 1
Time: 5 minutes
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped milk chocolate or milk chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> tsp. fermented black bean paste
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> tsp. chipotle morita powder, or another spicy chili powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- In a mug, add the cocoa powder, chocolate, sugar, black bean paste, chili powder, and salt.
- In a small pot, add the milk and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Remove and transfer the milk to the mug; stir until the chocolate is melted and the spices are incorporated, about 1 minute.
MORE TO READ
Don’t Fear the Dinner Party: Toasting Romy Gill’s Cookbook from Home
Recipes, Tricks, and Tips for Hosting a Himalayan-Inspired Vegetarian Feast.
Watermelon Gin Punch with Himalayan Salt
Elegant black tea and botanical flavors round out this pretty party punch.