This mix goes way beyond the typical flavors with umami Chinese fermented black bean chile paste and chile powder for a spicy, savory hot cocoa that delivers a kick of heat to the back of your throat. This is one hot cocoa that doesn’t taste like anything else you’ve ever tried.
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped milk chocolate or milk chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. fermented black bean paste
- 1⁄4 tsp. chipotle morita powder, or another spicy chili powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- In a mug, add the cocoa powder, chocolate, sugar, black bean paste, chili powder, and salt.
- In a small pot, add the milk and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Remove and transfer the milk to the mug; stir until the chocolate is melted and the spices are incorporated, about 1 minute.