On the menu at The Chalet at Rosie Cannonball in Houston, this wintry old fashioned variation layers rye whiskey with a woody, gently bitter, traditional Austrian walnut liqueur called Nux Alpina Nocino—balanced by the fragrant alpine botanical-based Italian Amaro Nonino. The finishing touch, however, is the addition of cocoa bitters, which lends a warm, nutty quality to the cocktail.
- 1 3⁄4 oz. rye whiskey
- 1⁄4 oz. Nux Alpina Nocino
- 2 bar spoons Amaro Nonino
- 3-4 dashes Angostura Cocoa Bitters
- 1 bar spoon turbinado sugar
- Cinnamon stick, for garnish
- Sprig of fresh herbs, such as rosemary or thyme, for garnish
- In a mixing glass filled with ice, combine the rye, Nux Alpina Nocino, Amaro Nonino, bitters, and sugar. Stir until well-chilled, then strain into a rocks glass over a large cube of fresh ice. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and a festive herb of your choice.