A rich and toasty but not too heavy drink that uses that nutty coconut and coconut oil to bring out all the earthy flavors of turmeric.
- 10 cardamom pods
- 6 whole allspice berries
- 3 whole star anise
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 pieces whole long pepper
- 2 pieces whole mace
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger
- 1 scraped vanilla pod (optional)
- Raw honey, to taste (optional)
In a small pot over medium-high heat add the cardamom, allspice, star anise, cloves, coconut, long pepper, mace, turmeric, ginger, and vanilla pod (if using). Add two cups water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer; let simmer 15-20 minutes. Strain into individual mugs and sweeten with honey if desired.