Bar manager Jon di Pinto of Street ADL in Adelaide, South Australia, combines lemon verbena and gin for a crisp, refreshing summer cocktail.
Featured in: 21 Cocktails for our 21st Birthday
For the Lemon Verbena Sugar
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. lemon verbena leaves (8 leaves)
- 1 2” piece lemon zest
For the Cocktail
- 3 tbsp. lemon verbena sugar
- 1 lime wedge
- 1 tbsp. lemon verbena sugar
- 2 oz. gin
- 1 oz. lime juice
- 2 sprigs lemon verbena
- 2 sprigs mint
- To make the sugar: Grind sugar, lemon verbena, and lemon zest in a spice grinder until fine.
- To make the cocktail: Combine 3 tablespoons lemon verbena sugar and 3 tablespoons water in a small saucepan over medium heat and simmer until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Refrigerate syrup until ready to use.
- Place remaining lemon verbena sugar on a small plate. Rim a martini glass with the lime wedge and run the rim around the sugar; refrigerate until ready to use. Combine the gin, lime juice, and 1⁄2 ounce of the syrup in an ice filled shaker; shake vigorously, then strain into reserved glass and garnish with the lemon verbena and mint.