Juicy sweet watermelons go savory in this summery no-cooking-required soup from Anna Watson Carl. Spicy bite comes from jalapeños and red onions, while tomatoes and tart lime juice provide acidity. Plenty of herbs and olive oil lend a fresh, grassy note, with cucumbers bolstering the melon backbone.
Featured in: The Dinner Party: A No-Cook Summer Menu
- 2 lb. watermelon, rind removed, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup packed cilantro leaves, plus more to garnish
- 3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp. packed mint leaves, plus more to garnish
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 large red heirloom tomato, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a blender, combine the watermelon with the cilantro, lime juice, mint, olive oil, cucumber, jalapeño, tomato, and shallot, and purée until smooth. Pour the gazpacho into a bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve, at least 4 hours.
To serve, ladle the gazpacho into bowls and garnish each with more cilantro and mint leaves.