Apple-Cinnamon Bostock (The Ultimate French Toast)
Bostock is a sweet and crunchy breakfast pastry with roots in Normandy. Our version honors Calvados country with a schmear of apple butter and a splash of apple brandy added to the traditional frangipane cream. A generous layer of toasty almonds balances the soft and squishy filling below.
Bostock can be completely assembled in advance. Raw and tightly wrapped, they keep well for up to 3 days in the fridge or for a month, in the freezer. Be sure to thaw the frozen bostock completely before baking.
For the frangipane:
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick unsalted butter (4 oz.), softened slightly
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. Calvados or spiced rum
For the toasts:
- Nonstick spray
- 6 (1-inch-thick) slices milk bread, brioche, or another good-quality, enriched white bread, lightly toasted
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. prepared cinnamon syrup
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. apple butter (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 1⁄3 cups sliced almonds
- Powdered sugar, for serving
- Make the frangipane: In a food processor, add 1 cup almonds and the sugar and pulse until finely ground. Add the eggs, butter, and salt, and process to a smooth paste. Drizzle in the vanilla and Calvados, pulsing to incorporate..Transfer the mixture to a bowl and chill for 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375°. Line a large baking sheet with baking parchment and lightly oil the paper with nonstick spray. Place the toasts on the baking sheet and brush both sides liberally with the cinnamon syrup. Spread each piece on one side with 1 tablespoon of apple butter followed by ¼ cup of the almond paste.
- Place the remaining 1 1⁄3 cups sliced almonds into a shallow dish. Press the prepared toasts into the dish of almonds to coat the frangipane side with almonds. Transfer the toasts almond-side-up, to the baking sheet.
- Bake until the almonds are golden and the frangipane is slightly puffed and set but still soft, 18-20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature, dusted with powdered sugar.