This relish is an easy-to-make version of Indonesian pickle. This recipe first appeared in our May 2011 issue, with the article The World of Satay.
Yield: makes ABOUT 2 1/2 CUPS
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. kosher salt
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cucumbers, cut into 2″-long x 1/4″-wide sticks
- 1 large carrot, cut into 2″-long x 1/4″ wide sticks
- 2 1⁄2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 green Thai chiles, sliced thin
- Stir together salt, shallots, cucumbers, carrots, and 2 cups boiling water in a bowl. Let sit 15 minutes; drain. Squeeze out liquid and transfer to a bowl; stir in sugar, vinegar, and chiles. Let sit 15 minutes.