Mouthwatering Aïoli Recipe
Use a pale-golden oil to make this silky, garlic-spiked mayonnaise. When making this aioli recipe, try nesting the mixing bowl on a tea towel fitted inside a stock pot for stabilization, which frees both your hands for simultaneous whisking and oil-pouring.
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 clove garlic, minced and smashed into a paste
- 1 cup pale golden extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Drape a tea towel over a 5-qt. pot and set a medium bowl inside pot so it nestles inside snugly. Add lemon juice, egg yolk, and garlic to bowl and beat until well combined.
- Transfer oil to a measuring cup with a spout; while whisking vigorously, drizzle a few drops of oil into bowl with egg mixture. Still whisking, drizzle in a few more drops, and continue to whisk vigorously until egg mixture is very thick and emulsified. Gradually add remaining oil in a very thin stream while whisking vigorously until the aïoli is smooth, pale yellow, and emulsified. Season with salt
- Whisk in 2 tsp. water for a thinner aïoli. Aïoli will keep, refrigerated and covered, for up to 3 days.